Public transport is the easy way to explore Sydney
Planning on visiting Sydney or exploring beyond to the Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands or Newcastle? It’s all so easy on public transport and all you need is an Opal card.
Opal makes public transport even easier
Opal is a convenient smartcard that you keep, load value and reuse on trains, buses, ferries and light rail. Opal is affordable too, whether visiting for a day or staying for a week, with a choice of Adult and Child/Youth Opal cards available offering daily and weekly caps, plus a free travel reward for frequent use.
Adult Opal card
For adults 16 years of age who normally pay full fare
Child/Youth Opal card
For children 4-15 years of age (or those over 16 years who hold a NSW Senior Secondary Student Concession Card)
Never pay more than $15 a day: Travel all day on trains, buses, ferries and light rail and pay no more than $15 per day for adults and $7.50 a day for children.*
- Never pay more than $2.50 on Sundays: Fares are capped at $2.50 every Sunday for all Opal customers.*
- Never pay more than $60 a week: Opal fares are capped each week at $60 for adults and $30 for children.*
- Earn free travel each week: After eight paid journeys with Opal, travel for the rest of the week is free.*
- Save 30% with off-peak train fares: Sleep in, avoid rush hour and save.
It’s easy to get an Opal card
Pick one up
- Over the counter at one of 2,000 Opal card retailers across the Opal network – look for the Opal symbol or visit opal.com.au
- at one of our Transport Customer Service Centresat Central and Circular Quay
- at one of our Transport shopsat Wynyard Station and Railway Square
- at Visitor Centres at Darling Harbour and The Rocks
- or by calling 13 67 25 or online at opal.com.au (allow 5-7 days for delivery)
Topping up your card
You can make one-off top ups at
- Opal retailers, by cash, debit or credit card
- Opal top up machines at selected train stations and ferry wharves
To find a location go to www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/top-up/
See our video
Check out our video at www.transportnsw.info/en/travelling-with-us/visitors/public-transport.page. It provides information on the public transport network and Opal.
Plan your trip
Visit transportnsw.info for mobile apps and tools to help you plan your trip and make the most of your stay. And remember, keep your Opal card for the next time you visit.
* Opal week runs Monday to Sunday. Excludes Sydney Airport station access fee.